1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
2 leeks, rinsed and finely sliced
1 celery stalk, diced
125g smoked lardons
400g cauliflower, cut into florets
500ml vegetable stock
285g smoked haddock
1 bay leaf
500ml whole milk
1 x 340g tin of sweetcorn, drained
2 tbsp fresh chives, finely chopped
- Heat the oil in a large casserole dish over a medium heat. Add the bacon lardons and cook for 4-5 minutes until golden and crisp. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper and set aside.
- Add the butter to the same casserole and allow to melt. Add the leeks and celery, cover with a lid and cook gently for 6-8 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower and stock to the casserole and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat. Partially cover and simmer for 10 minutes until tender.
- Meanwhile, place the smoked haddock and bay leaf in a saucepan and add the milk. Season with pepper and place over a medium-high heat until bubbles begin to appear around the edges. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for five minutes. Remove the fish and flake into pieces, discarding the skin.
- Pour the milk through a sieve into the casserole dish. Add the sweetcorn and half of the bacon and heat through.
- Stir in most of the chives, then ladle into serving bowls. Top with the remaining chives and bacon and serve with brown bread.
Per serving: 452kcals, 18.3g fat (7.2g saturated), 37g carbs (11.9g sugars), 34.7g protein, 4.9g fibre, 1.011g sodium