1 large onion, sliced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
900g beef chuck roast
Salt and black pepper
400ml beef stock
100ml red wine
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 x 150g tin of tomato purée
1 x 400g tin of tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 170˚C/150˚C fan/gas mark 3.
- Place the onion, garlic and rosemary in the bottom of a heavy, ovenproof casserole dish. Season the beef and add to the casserole.
- In a medium bowl, combine the beef stock, red wine, balsamic vinegar, tomato purée and tinned tomatoes. Pour the mixture over the beef.
- Place the lid on the casserole dish and cook the ragù for 1½-2 hours.
- Remove the beef to a plate and rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, place the casserole over a medium-high heat and simmer the sauce for 6-8 minutes, scraping any sticky bits from the bottom using a wooden spoon.
- Shred the beef using two forks and stir the meat into the sauce.
- Ladle the ragù over pasta and top with grated Parmesan. Serve with garlic bread.