4 tbsp plain flour
500g lamb leg meat, diced
1½ tbsp olive oil, plus extra for the mash
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp tomato purée
40ml red wine
400ml beef stock
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 rosemary sprigs
2 bay leaves
For the mash:
10 garlic cloves, unpeeled
900g potatoes, chopped into 2cm chunks
Splash of milk
Large knob of butter
1 whole egg, plus 1 beaten
- Preheat the oven to 150 ̊C/130 ̊C fan/gas mark 2. Season the lamb and coat in the flour.
- Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a large casserole dish over a medium-high heat. Working in batches to avoid crowding the dish, brown the lamb on all sides. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil over a low heat and cook the onion, carrots and celery for 15-20 minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic and tomato purée. Turn the heat to medium-high and cook for one minute, stirring. Pour in the red wine and bubble for 2-3 minutes, using a wooden spoon to scrape up sticky bits.
- Add the stock, Worcestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar and herbs. Bring to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes until slightly thickened. Season well and return the lamb to the pan. Cover with a lid, then transfer the dish to the oven and cook for three hours or until the meat is extremely tender.
- Place the garlic cloves in a small baking dish and drizzle with olive oil. Bake for 50 minutes until very soft. Set aside until cool enough to handle, then squeeze the cloves out of the skins and mash to form a purée.
- In a large pot, cover the potatoes in cold water, add salt, boil and simmer until tender. Drain well, then return to the pan and steam dry for 1-2 minutes.
- Mash the potatoes with the milk and butter, then season. Crack the egg into the centre and add the roasted garlic, then beat well with a wooden spoon.
- Transfer the lamb and sauce to a large ovenproof dish, discarding the bay leaves and rosemary sprigs. Spoon over the mash and brush with the beaten egg.
- Heat the oven to 220 ̊C/200 ̊C fan/gas mark 7 and cook for 25 minutes until golden and bubbling.
Per Serving 665kcals, 35.6g fat (13.3g saturated), 53g carbs (7.8g sugars), 30.8g protein, 7.4g fibre, 0.619g sodium