Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the brisket:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/ gas mark 4.
- Over a medium heat, heat one tablespoon of the oil in a large ovenproof pan. Working in batches if necessary to avoid crowding the pan, brown the beef for 4-5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same pan. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 4-5 minutes until softened.
- Add the wine and cook for 3-4 minutes or until reduced by half, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any sticky bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add the stock, water, passata, basil, bay leaves and some salt and pepper and stir to combine. Return the beef to the pan, along with any juices that have been released onto the plate. Bring to a simmer.
- Cover with a lid or tin foil and transfer to the oven. Cook for three hours until very tender, turning the beef halfway through.
- Remove the beef from the sauce and place on a board. Use two forks to shred the meat. Return the beef to the sauce and stir to combine. Remove and discard the bay leaves.
- In a bowl, stir together the mozzarella, Parmesan, ricotta and milk. Set aside.
- Grease a 30 x 20cm baking dish with oil. Layer the bottom of the dish with lasagne sheets, trimming to fit.
- Add one-third of the beef mixture, followed by a layer of lasagne sheets and then one-third of the cheese mixture. Repeat this twice, finishing with a layer of the cheese mixture. Sprinkle on some extra Parmesan, then bake for 35-40 minutes or until golden on top and bubbling around the edges.
Per serving: 788kcals, 48.8g fat (20g saturated), 27.9g carbs (2.2g sugars), 54.3g protein, 0.4g fibre, 0.497g sodium
Popular in Italian
Irish coffee affogato by EUROSPAR