For the roast chicken
1 x 1.4kg whole chicken
100ml balsamic vinegar
2tbsp Siúcra Light Golden Brown Sugar
2 tbsp olive oil
20ml soy sauce
Salt and black pepper
For the cornbread
125g plain flour
140g Súicra Caster Sugar
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 medium egg
60ml vegetable oil
Roasted vegetables or mash
- Remove the chicken from the fridge 45 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat the oven to 190 ̊C/170 ̊C fan/gas mark 5.
- In a small pot, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, oil, soy sauce and seasoning. Over a low to medium heat, heat the mariande for 3-4 minutes, until it reduces and becomes sticky.
- In a baking dish, place the chicken and spoon the marinade all over the chicken.
- Roast the chicken for one hour and 20 minutes or until the juices run clear when the thickest part of the thigh is pierced with a knife.
- To make the cornbread, line a 23cm round cake tin with non stick parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In jug whisk together the egg, buttermilk and oil. Pour into the dry mix and mix until just combined.
- Pour the mix into the prepared tin and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a skewer is inserted and comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly before cutting into pieces.
- Once the chicken is cooked, serve with the warm cornbread.
This recipe is sponsored by Siúcra