For the cupcakes
120g self raising flour
140g Siúcra Caster Sugar
1tsp baking powder
40g unsalted butter, softened
Zest of 1 lemon
For the buttercream
400g Siúcra Icing Sugar
200g unsalted butter
Juice of 1 lemon
300g Siúcra Roll Out Icing
A few drops yellow food colouring
A few drops red food colouring
A few drops black food colouring
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4 and line a cupcake tray with 12 cupcake cases.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together all the dry ingredients and the butter together until a sandy texture.
- In a jug, whisk the milk, eggs and lemon zest together, slowly stream into the butter mix to form a smooth batter. Spoon the batter in the lined cupcake tray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes. Once baked allow to cool completely.
- Using an electric mixer beat together the icing sugar, softened butter and lemon until light and fluffy. Add a little boiling water to loosen the buttercream if required.
- Using a piping bags with a star nozzles, pipe on a swirl of buttercream on top of the each cupcake.
- To make the chicks, reserve 30g of fondant. To the remaining fondant, knead the yellow food colouring into the fondant until it’s a bring yellow shade. To the 30g fondant, knead in a few drops of red colouring for the beaks,the flowers and feet.
- Roll out the yellow fondant to about 1cm thick. Use a round cutter to cut, the same size as the cupcake, cut out 12 circles. Keep the remaining fondant for the wings.
- Knead and re-roll the fondant. Use a small heart shape cutter to cut out 24 wings. Use a paintbrush and a little water to adhere them to the circles.
- Roll out the pink fondant to about a ½ cm thick. Cut out 12 small triangles for the beaks. Use the remaining pink fondant to cut out the flowers. Use a little water to stick the beaks to the center of the circle.
- For the feet, cut our the same small flower cutter, cut them in half and use a little water to stick them to the base of the circle. The petals will look like little feet.
- Use a toothpick or a very fine paint brush to do two dots for eyes just above the beaks.
- Use a little water to stick a flower to the top edge of each cupcake.
This recipe is sponsored by Siúcra