Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the whoopie pies:
For the buttercream:
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4. Line two large baking trays with non-stick parchment paper.
- To make the pies, in a large bowl, beat together the butter and Siúcra Caster Sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add the flour, cocoa and bicarbonate of soda and mix. Gradually add the buttermilk and mix until combined.
- Add one heaped tablespoon of the mixture per whoopie pie onto the prepared trays, leaving space between them.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden and set. Allow to cool.
- For the buttercream, beat together the Siúcra Icing Sugar, cocoa powder and butter until smooth.
- Spread onto the flat side of one whoopie pie and sandwich together with another. Repeat until all whoopie pies have been filled. Set aside.
- For the decorations, take 50g of the Siúcra Roll Out Icing and add a few drops of green food colouring. Knead the icing until the colour is fully dispersed.
- Dust your work surface with some Siúcra Icing Sugar. Roll out the green icing to 5mm thick, then use a small holly leaf-shaped cutter to stamp out multiple leaves and set aside.
- Add the red food colouring to the remaining 10g of Siúcra Roll Out Icing. Knead the icing until the colour is fully dispersed.
- For the berries, take small pieces of red food colouring and roll into balls and set aside.
- Make the royal icing according to package instructions. Spoon into a piping bag and cut a small hole in the end.
- Pipe small drizzles on the top of each whoopie pie. Allow the icing to set for five minutes before adding two holly leaves and 2-3 icing berries to the top of each pie. Repeat until all the pies have been decorated.
Recipe proudly brought to you by
Popular in Kids baking