Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the whiskey brown sugar glaze:
- Place the ham in a large pot. Pour in the orange juice, then add enough cold water to just cover the ham, if needed. Add the spices and bay leaf. Bring slowly to a boil, skimming off any white foam from the surface. Simmer very gently for about 4 hours until the ham is cooked throughout. Add water if needed to ensure the ham is covered while simmering.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Place the oven rack at its lowest position. Remove the ham from its liquid and allow to cool slightly.
- For the glaze, place the honey, mustard, brown sugar and whiskey in a small pot and heat until fully combined and bubbling gently. Allow to cool slightly.
- Place the ham on a board and use a small sharp knife to strip off the skin, leaving an even layer of fat on the ham. Score the fat in a diamond pattern, being careful not to cut into the meat. Stud the intersections with cloves.
- Place the ham in a foil lined roasting tin and thickly brush all over with the glaze. Leaving aside approx 4 Tbsp of glaze.
- Bake for 45 minutes, brushing with extra glaze every 15 minutes or so.
- Remove from the oven, transfer to a platter and tent loosely with foil. Allow to rest for 15 minutes before carving.
Popular in Christmas
Rum & pistachio chocolate fudge