Makes 1 loaf
3 tbsp cider vinegar
550ml soya milk
Vegetable or sunflower oil, for brushing
2 tbsp milled flaxseed
300g extra-course wholemeal flour
200g wholemeal flour
1 tsp fine sea salt
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Mix the cider vinegar with the soya milk and let it stand for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6. Brush a 1L loaf tin with some oil, then dust with flour to coat. Shake off any excess.
- Mix together the milled flaxseed with six tablespoons of water and allow to stand for a few minutes until the water has been absorbed.
- Combine both flours, the salt, sugar and bicarbonate of soda in a large bowl. Pour Síomha’s vegan brown bread over the soya milk mixture and stir in the flaxseed to combine. This is quite a wet mix, so don’t be worried. Scrape into the prepared tin.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until the base sounds hallow when tapped; it might need another 10-20 minutes depending on your oven.
- Remove from tin, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Slice and serve with some vegan butter and raspberry jam
Per serving: 210kcals, 2.4g fat (0.3g saturated), 40.6g carbs (2.8g sugars), 9g protein, 6.8g fibre, 0.391g sodium