225g self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
50g very cold butter, cut into cubes
120ml milk, plus extra for brushing
25g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 220˚C/200˚C fan/gas mark 7. Brush a baking tray with some melted butter to grease it.
- Measure out the flour and salt in a mixing bowl. Add the butter and use your fingertips to rub it together with the flour until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and sultanas.
- Add the milk to the mixture and stir everything together. Knead the mixture together with your hands until you have formed a stiff dough.
- Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough gently until it is 2cm thick. Cut out shapes with pastry cutters dipped in flour.
- Put the scones on a baking tray and brush them with milk. Put them in the oven for 12-15 minutes until golden. Carefully transfer them to a wire rack and allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
Per serving: 171kcals, 5.7g fat (3.4g saturated), 26.5g carbs, 4.9g sugars, 3.5g protein, 0.8g fibre, 0.063g sodium