Makes 1 loaf
450g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6.
- In a large bowl, sieve the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- Rub in the butter into the flour until it resemble breadcrumbs.
- Gradually add the buttermilk and mix to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and give it a light knead until it comes together.
- Shape into a ball and place onto the baking tray. Use a sharp knife to cut a cross in the top of the loaf
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. When baked the base of the bread should sound hollow when tapped.
- Cool on a wire tray. Cover with a dry tea towel to give a soft crust.
Per serving: 194kcals, 2.7g fat (1.5g saturated), 35.8g carbs (1.6g sugars), 5.7g protein, 1.2g fibre, 0.290g sodium