Makes around 20
2 tbsp olive oil
60g plain flour
300ml whole milk
50g Serrano ham
50g Manchego cheese, grated
Pinch of nutmeg, grated (optional)
Pinch of salt
Vegetable oil, for frying
Tomato and chilli relish
- Melt the butter with the olive oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the flour and cook 1-2 minutes, whisking constantly. Gradually whisk in the milk and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes until smooth.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in the ham, cheese and nutmeg, if using. Cook for another 1-2 minutes, stirring, until the mixture begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Transfer to a 20cm square baking tin and spread out evenly. Allow to cool, then cover with cling film and place in the fridge for at least three hours or overnight.
- When ready to cook, lightly beat the eggs in a shallow dish and pour the breadcrumbs into
another dish, breaking up any clumps.
- Scoop up tablespoons of the cooled filling and form them into balls. Dip each ball into the egg and then the breadcrumbs. Place the coated croquettes on a baking tray and place in the fridge for 30 minutes – this step is essential to prevent them from falling apart.
- Pour enough vegetable oil into a large pot to reach a depth of 3cm. Heat over a medium high heat until a breadcrumb dropped into the oil sizzles instantly.
- Working in batches, fry the croquettes for 2-3 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Drain on a plate lined with kitchen paper, then serve immediately with tomato and chilli relish or your favourite dipping sauce.
TOP TIP: If you can’t find Serrano ham, use Parma ham or prosciutto.
Per Serving 150kcals, 10.6g fat (3.5g saturated), 9.9g carbs (1.1g sugars), 3.9g protein, 0.5g fibre, 0.161g sodium