Serves 1 loaf
Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the roasted garlic:
For the bread:
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6.
- Slice the top off the head of garlic, making sure to slice through the top of every clove. Place on a large square of tin foil and drizzle generously with extra-virgin olive oil. Wrap the garlic up in the tin foil, place on a baking tray and bake in for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool, then squeeze the cloves from their skins.
- In a large jug, combine the yeast with the warm water. Stir in the sugar, then allow to sit for 10 minutes or until it foams.
- Stir in the olive oil, then add the flour and salt. Knead for 10 minutes, either by hand or in a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook.
- Add the rosemary, black pepper and oregano, then knead for another five minutes. Gently knead in the roasted garlic cloves by hand for just one minute. The dough should have come together well at this point, but will still be slightly sticky.
- Place the dough into a well-oiled bowl, turning in the bowl a few times to coat the dough. Cover tightly with cling film and place in a warm, draft-free place for about one hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Knock back the dough and shape into a rough loaf. Place in a well-oiled loaf tin and use the tip of a sharp knife to slash a line in the top. Or, shape into a large disc on a tray. Set aside for another hour or until doubled in size again.
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C/170˚C fan/gas mark 5.
- Gently rub the dough with olive oil and sprinkle with coarse sea salt and a little more rosemary.
- Place the dough on the middle shelf. Pour about two inches of cold water into a second loaf tin and place on the bottom shelf. Bake for 25-30 minutes, then increase the oven temperature to 220˚C/200˚C fan/gas mark 7. Bake for another five minutes or just until the top is light golden brown, taking care not to over-bake.
- Serve warm with good-quality olive oil for dipping.
179 kcals, 6.1g fat (0.9g saturated), 27.2g carbs, 0.9g sugars, 4.4g protein, 1.6g fibre, 0.34g sodium
Popular in Italian
Tomato, spinach and Mozzarella gnocchi