For the roasted garlic:
2 whole bulbs of Drummond House Oak Smoked Garlic
2 knobs of butter
Salt and black pepper
For the mushrooms:
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
200g chestnut mushrooms, wiped clean and thickly sliced
2 portobello mushrooms, wiped clean and thickly sliced
1 Drummond House Heritage Garlic clove, crushed
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
2 tbsp white wine
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
For the sandwiches:
Butter, for spreading and frying
4 thick slices of country-style bread
60g Gubbeen, sliced, or Gouda, grated
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6.
- Slice off the top of each bulb of garlic so that the tops of the cloves are exposed. Place two squares of tin foil on your work surface and place one bulb of garlic in the centre of each. Season generously and top each with a knob of butter. Fold up the tin foil around the garlic, pinching it closed at the top to seal but leaving some space within.
- Place the garlic parcels on a baking tray and roast for 30-40 minutes, or until the cloves are lightly browned and feel soft when pressed. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- In a large pan over a medium-high heat, melt half of the butter with half of the olive oil. Add half of the mushrooms and cook for 4-5 minutes until lightly browned on both sides. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the remaining butter, oil and mushrooms.
- Return the fi rst batch of mushrooms to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic, shallot and thyme and cook for two minutes. Add the white wine and continue cooking Roasted smoked garlic & mushroom toasties the mushrooms for another 8-10 minutes until most of the wine and mushroom juices have evaporated. Add more seasoning to taste, then stir in the parsley. Remove from the heat.
- Push the cooled roasted garlic cloves out of their skins into a small bowl.
- Spread the butter evenly over one side of the slices of bread. Spread the other sides with the soft roasted garlic. Layer the mushrooms over the garlic on two of the slices, then add the cheese on top. Sandwich together with the remaining slices of bread, butter side out.
- Heat a heavy-based pan over a medium heat, then add a knob of butter and allow to melt.
- Cook the sandwiches for 3-4 minutes per side until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted and bubbling. Transfer to a cutting board and carefully cut each sandwich in half. Serve with mixed leaves.
Per serving: 558kcals, 43.4g fat (20.1g saturated), 28.7g carbs (2.2g sugars), 16.1g protein, 4g fibre, 1.095g sodium