4 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp Chinese five spice
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
3cm piece of fresh ginger, grated
4 garlic cloves, crushed
½ tsp chilli powder
4 chicken thighs, bone-in and skin on
1-2 tbsp sesame seeds
3 spring onions, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C/170˚C fan/gas mark 5.
- In a large bowl, mix together the soy sauce, honey, vinegar, five spice, chilli, ginger, garlic, chilli powder and some black pepper. Set aside.
- Add the chicken thighs and turn to coat. Marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the marinade and place in a lightly oiled baking dish, skin-side up. Pour the remaining marinade over the chicken and sprinkle the sesame seeds over the top. Bake for 35-40 minutes until cooked throughout.
- Remove from the oven and rest for 8-10 minutes. Top with the chopped spring onions and serve with rice, drizzled with the sauce from the baking tray.
Per serving: 292kcals, 10.4g fat (2.5g saturated), 15.8g carbs, 9.3g sugars, 33g protein, 1.7g fibre, 0.997g sodium
MAKE IT YOURS:
If you like spicy food, don’t deseed the chilli. Conversely, if you’re not so good with heat, omit the chilli powder!