1 tbsp olive oil
100g smoked streaky bacon, chopped
3 leeks, washed, trimmed and chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
Salt and black pepper
200g Arborio rice
120ml white wine
850ml hot chicken stock
200g curly kale, trimmed and chopped
30g aged Irish Cheddar (e.g. 15 Fields or Mount Callan), or Parmesan, grated
20g cold butter
Squeeze of lemon juice
Fresh parsley, chopped, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large, deep pan over a medium heat and cook the bacon for 3-4 minutes until golden. Add the leeks and cook for 4-5 minutes until soft, then add the garlic and season with salt and black pepper.
- Stir in the Arborio rice and stir for 2-3 minutes. Add the white wine and cook for two minutes until absorbed.
- Add a ladleful of the chicken stock and simmer, stirring, until absorbed. Keep adding the stock bit by bit, stirring until almost completely absorbed before adding the next ladleful. This will take around 20 minutes in total.
- Stir the kale into the risotto and simmer for a few minutes until wilted. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Stir in the cheese, then use a wooden spoon to beat in the butter. Divide amongst bowls, then squeeze over a little lemon juice and top with some chopped fresh parsley to serve.
521kcals, 20.8g fat (8.1g saturated), 57.4g carbs (2.9g sugars), 20.9g protein, 3.5g fibre, 1.022g sodium