Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the sponge:
For the buttercream:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4. Line two deep 20cm cake tins with non-stick parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and the sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Add in the vanilla and mix.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour and cocoa powder and set aside.
- In a jug, mix together the buttermilk, vanilla and red food colouring.
- Alternate adding the flour and buttermilk mixture into the egg mix, adding a third at a time and beating between each addition.
- In a bowl, mix together the bicarbonate of soda and vinegar and add stir into the cake mix immediately.
- Divide between your prepared tins and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a skewer is inserted and comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
- For the buttercream, beat together the butter, icing sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Once the sponges are cool, cut the sponges in half.
- To assemble the cake, place the first sponge layer on a cake stand or serving plate. Spread over some buttercream and place the next sponge on top. Continue to stack and spread each of the sponges.
- Use a palette knife or offset spatula to spread the buttercream over the top and sides of the cake, making sure to fill in any gaps. Refrigerate the cake for 30 minutes to set.
- Once set, spread over more buttercream to cover any crumbs and smooth the icing.
Popular in Cakes
Mini pineapple upside-down cakes