For the quick-pickled cucumber:
80ml rice wine vinegar, white
wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
1⁄2 cucumber, thinly sliced
For the fried rice:
1 1⁄2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tbsp Thai red curry paste
600g cooked basmati rice, chilled overnight
4 spring onions, sliced
1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
150g frozen peas
1 tbsp soy sauce, plus extra to taste
4 smoked mackerel fillets, flaked
Handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- In a jug, combine the water, vinegar, sugar and salt. Stir to combine and until the sugar and salt have dissolved.
- Place the cucumber slices in a jar and pour in the vinegar mixture; all of the cucumber slices should all be submerged. Place in the fridge for at least two hours, or overnight if possible.
- Heat half of the oil in a wok or large pan over a medium heat. Add the eggs and swirl to coat the base of the pan. Cook for one minute, then flip over and cook the other side until set into a thin omelette. Transfer to a plate and use scissors to cut into ribbons.
- Add the remaining oil to the wok and cook the curry paste for one minute, stirring. Add the carrots and cook for two minutes, then add the rice, spring onions and peas, stirring to coat in the curry paste. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the soy sauce, then gently stir in the omelette ribbons and mackerel.
- Divide amongst four serving bowls. Squeeze over the lime juice and add the pickled cucumber and some fresh coriander. Serve with extra soy sauce, if desired.
652kcals, 30.3g fat (7.6g saturated), 73.9g carbs (3.7g sugars), 29g protein, 6.4g fibre, 1.27g sodium