250g Mascarpone cheese (or cream cheese), at room temperature
400g sponge fingers
500g fresh raspberries
Zest of 1 lemon
For the raspberry syrup:
100g caster sugar
1 tbsp water
Juice of ½ a lemon
For the custard:
1 tsp vanilla
4 egg yolks
30g caster sugar
2 tsp cornflour
- To make the custard, bring the milk, cream and vanilla to a simmer in a saucepan over a medium-low heat, stirring frequently.
- Whisk the egg yolks together with the sugar and cornflour in a separate bowl.
- Slowly pour the milk mixture over the eggs, whisking to combine.
- Pour back into the pan over a low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thick. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Beat the Mascarpone and cooled custard until combined.
- Combine all the ingredients for the raspberry syrup in a small saucepan over a medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the berries are soft and syrupy. Leave to cool slightly, then strain through a mesh sieve to remove any seeds.
- Dip the sponge fingers into the raspberry sauce and layer into the bottom of a small glass trifle dish. Spoon over a layer of the Mascarpone mixture, then top with some fresh raspberries.
- Continue layering, ending with the fresh berries and the lemon zest. Refrigerate until needed and serve chilled.
Per serving: 428kcals, 10.3g fat (4.5g saturated), 73g carbs, 23.9g sugars, 11.9g protein, 6.6g fibre, 0.067g sodium