Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the pastry:
For the icing:
For the cream filling:
- Preheat the oven to 220˚C/200˚C fan/gas mark 7 and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter and water in a saucepan over a medium-low heat. When the water starts to simmer, remove the pan from the heat and quickly beat the flour into the mixture with a wooden spoon until the mixture forms a ball and comes away cleanly from the sides of the pan.
- Leave to cool for 2-3 minutes, then gradually beat in the eggs until the mixture is smooth and glossy.
- Transfer the mixture to a piping bag (or a sealable plastic bag with a corner snipped off) and pipe four large and four small buns onto the baking tray. Sprinkle the buns lightly with water and bake for 18-20 minutes or until risen and golden brown.
- Remove the smaller buns from the tray and continue cooking the larger ones for another three minutes.
- Split all the buns in half while they are still hot and lay them, cut-side up, onto the tray. Return to the oven for another two minutes, and then leave to cool completely at room temperature.
- Meanwhile, mash the raspberries with a fork. Push the juice and pulp through a fine sieve using the back of a spoon, discarding the seeds. Set half of the strained raspberry liquid aside for later.
- Stir the icing sugar into one half of the liquid and use it to decorate the tops of the buns. Set aside to harden.
- Heat the milk for the cream filling in a saucepan over a medium-low heat until bubbles form at the sides.
- Whisk the egg yolks, sugar, cornflour and vanilla in a bowl until smooth. Whisk a small amount of milk into the egg mixture, then pour the whole mixture back into the saucepan.
- Cook, stirring frequently, for 4-6 minutes until the mixture is thick and can coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the heat and strain into a bowl. Stir in the butter and reserved raspberry liquid, then leave to cool completely in the fridge.
- To assemble, fill the bottom buns with the chilled raspberry cream and the extra raspberries, reserving four for decorating. Top the buns with their lids.
- Pipe a small amount of the cream filling on top of the four large buns and place the smaller filled buns on top. Pipe a small amount of cream onto the top of the small buns and finish each with a raspberry.
Per Serving: 815kcals, 50.9g fat (29.8g saturated), 80.3g carbs, 57g sugars, 13.3g protein, 2.7g fibre, 0.4g sodium
Popular in Vegetarian
Vegetarian puff pastry wellington by EUROSPAR