130g uncooked quinoa
6 large, ripe but firm tomatoes
1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing
2 shallots, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 yellow pepper, deseeded and chopped
½ tsp dried basil
½ tsp dried oregano
3 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
30g Mozzarella, grated
30g Parmesan, grated
Salt and black pepper
- Cook the quinoa according to the package instructions, then allow to cool. Fluff the cooled quinoa with a fork.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Lightly coat a baking dish with olive oil or cooking spray.
- Cut a 1cm-thick slice from the top of each tomato, reserving the tops. Use a teaspoon to scoop out the pulp and juice from the tomatoes into a bowl and set aside. Place the hollowed tomatoes in the prepared dish.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a medium-high heat. Add the shallots, garlic, yellow pepper and dried herbs and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the reserved tomato pulp and juice and cook for a further 7-8 minutes until the mixture thickens.
- Add the quinoa, fresh basil, Mozzarella and Parmesan. Toss everything together and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the quinoa mixture into the hollowed tomatoes, mounding it slightly over the tops. Replace the reserved tomato tops and bake the stuffed tomatoes for 20-25 minutes until the quinoa is heated through. Serve hot or at room temperature.
166kcals, 5.4g fat (1.4g saturated), 24.2g carbohydrates, 4.8g sugars, 7.2g protein, 4.1g fibre, 0.093g sodium