2 onions, finely chopped
1 tsp smoked paprika
Salt and black pepper
3 tbsp plain flour
500ml whole milk
500ml chicken stock
100g strong mature Cheddar, grated
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
- Cook the onions for 7-8 minutes until softened and golden-brown. Stir in the paprika and some salt and black pepper.
- Add the flour and stir vigorously for two minutes until blended.
- Add the milk and chicken stock gradually, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the Cheddar until completely melted. Top with croutons and serve.
248kcals, 15g fat (9.2g saturated), 17.3g carbs, 8.7g sugars, 12.1g protein, 1.6g fibre, 0.731g sodium
MAKE IT YOURS
If you prefer a smoother soup, use a stick blender to purée it before adding the cheese. For an adult treat, try replacing half of the chicken stock with beer!