For the base:
50g caster sugar
50g butter, plus extra for greasing
4 large eggs, separated
Zest of 2 lemons, finely grated
100g gluten-free breadcrumbs
For the jam:
6 tbsp gluten-free raspberry jam
Juice of ½ a lemon
200g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170˚C/150˚C fan/gas mark 3. Grease eight ramekins with butter.
- Heat the milk and sugar in a saucepan over a medium heat, stirring gently to dissolve the sugar. When you see small bubbles begin to form around the edges, remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the butter to melt.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl, then whisk into the milk mixture.
- Stir in the lemon zest and breadcrumbs. Divide amongst the prepared ramekins.
- Place the ramekins into a deep roasting dish and place into the oven. Carefully pour boiling water into the roasting dish up to a depth of about 2cm.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the custard is just set. Remove from the oven and the water bath and allow to cool slightly. Turn the oven temperature down to 150˚C/130˚C fan/gas mark 2.
- In a small bowl, combine the jam with the lemon juice. Gently spread this mixture evenly over the set custard.
- In a spotlessly clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Add the caster sugar a little at a time, whisking constantly. Keep whisking until the meringue is glossy and holds stiff peaks.
- Divide the meringue among the ramekins and smooth the top, swirling slightly with the jam and using the back of a spoon to create small peaks.
- Return to the oven for 20 minutes or until the meringue is just golden. Serve immediately while warm.
Per Serving: 345kcals, 11.2g fat (6g saturated), 56g carbs (44.2g sugars), 8.2g protein, 0.9g fibre, 0.216g sodium