Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the dough
For the filling
- Add 150ml of the milk to a jug, add the yeast and one tablespoon of the sugar. Stir quickly to dissolve, and leave to sit for 10 minutes until the mixture is foamy and has risen.
- Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and gradually mix in the milk mixture until it comes together as a dough. Cover with a tea towel and leave to rise in a warm space for 15 minutes.
- Separate one egg. Whisk one whole egg, one egg yolk, the butter, and the remaining milk and sugar together. Stir into the dough
- Dust a work surface with flour and knead the dough for 7-10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Spread some oil inside a large, clean bowl and place the dough inside. Cover with a clean tea towel and leave to rise for an hour or until doubled in size.
- To make the filling, preheat the oven to 190oC/170oC fan/gas mark 5. Spread the hazelnuts out on a baking tray and roast for 5-10 minutes until golden brown. Leave to cool fully.
- Once cooled, blitz the nuts in a food processor for several seconds until finely chopped but not powdered. Set aside.
- Once doubled in size, knead the dough briefly on a floured work surface and divide it equally into four balls.
- Roll each ball on the floured work surface, creating a 30cm circle.
- Place one dough circle onto a large lined baking tray. Spread one tablespoon of chocolate hazelnut spread on top and then sprinkle with chopped nuts.
- Repeat step 9 with the next two dough layers, placing one on top of the other.
- Place the fourth dough layer on top to finish.
- Gently, press an upside down glass into the centre of the dough circles, making an indent. Then, using a sharp knife, make 16 cuts, from the edge of the indent to the edge of the dough.
- Carefully twist two side-by-side strips of dough away from each other, pinching the tips together to create a snowflake point. Repeat this process until all of the dough strips have been twisted.
- Brush with the remaining egg white and leave to prove in a warm place for 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 200 ̊C/180 ̊C fan/gas mark 6.
- Bake the snowflake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Dust with icing sugar and sprinkle with the remaining chopped nuts and some Ferrero Rocher chocolates.
Per serving: 468kcals, 19.3g fat (6.9g saturated), 64g carbs (15.3g sugars), 10.6g protein, 2.7g fibre, 0.157g sodium