Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Melt the butter in a pan over a gentle heat. Allow the butter to simmer until the first dark flecks appear – watch it carefully, or it will burn. Strain into a jug through some muslin or a coffee filter.
- Wipe out the pan with a ball of kitchen paper. Pour two-thirds of the clarified butter from the jug back into the pan and add the lemon juice, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, white pepper and a pinch of salt. Simmer very gently for five minutes.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly. Divide the shrimps between eight ramekins, pressing them down tightly to avoid air pockets. Pour over the spiced butter from the pan.
- When cool enough, place the potted prawns in the fridge to set. Once solid, pour over the remainder of the clarified butter from the jug. Return to the fridge to set thoroughly. The potted prawns will keep for up to five days.
- Serve with a light sprinkling of cayenne pepper and plenty of toast.
Per Serving 413kcals, 40.7g fat (25.5g saturated), 1.1g carbs, 0g sugars, 11.9g protein, 0g fibre, 0.425g sodium
If you don’t have muslin or a coffee filter for straining the butter, you can use a (new, clean!) pair of tights.