Serves 2 (makes 2 large pancakes, or 4 smaller)
200g Rooster potatoes, diced
2 spring onions, finely chopped
Salt and black pepper
1 tsp baking powder
75g plain flour
100-150ml whole milk
Zest of 1 lemon (reserve the lemon for juice)
1⁄2 tbsp olive oil to cook
1 avocado, loosely smashed
150g smoked salmon
Handful of watercress or rocket, to serve (optional)
Eggs, poached (optional)
- Boil the potatoes in a pan of hot water until tender. Drain well, leaving the potatoes in the pan. Whilst still hot, mash the potatoes, then allow to cool.
- Add the spring onions and some seasoning. Whisk the flour, baking powder and lemon zest into 100ml of the milk, then add this to the mash.
- Check the seasoning and consistency, adding a little extra milk if the mixture is too stiff, but it should still be thick. Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan.
- When hot, pour in the batter, using a spatula to spread the mixture out. Cook for about two minutes until the pancake has puffed up and browned beneath, then carefully flip over to cook on the other side.
- To serve, place a pancake on each plate, top with the smashed avocado and season with salt, pepper and lemon juice. Add a handful of watercress (if using) and the smoked salmon.
- If you are adding poached eggs, gently place these on top of the salmon. Squeeze over some extra lemon juice and drizzle olive oil over everything.
Per Serving: 570kcals, 28.7g fat (6.5g saturated), 57.8g carbs (5g sugars), 23.4g protein, 10.7g fibre, 01.62g sodium