3 medium potatoes
Butter or olive oil
4 smoked bacon rashers, chopped
1 onion, chopped
120g mushrooms, sliced
8 large eggs
250ml whole milk
Salt and black pepper
150g Cheddar, grated
- Prick the potatoes all over with a fork, then microwave on high for 8-10 minutes until just tender. Allow to cool enough to handle, then dice the potatoes (with or without their skins, according to your preference).
- Lightly grease a 23 x 33cm baking dish with butter or olive oil.
- Heat some oil a large pan over a medium heat and cook the rashers until crispy. Transfer to a plate, leaving the bacon fat in the pan.
- Add the onion and mushrooms and cook for 5-6 minutes until softened. Season with salt and black pepper, then turn off the heat and leave to cool slightly.
- Beat the eggs and milk together in a large bowl. Whisk in some salt and black pepper. Stir in the bacon, vegetables, potatoes and cheese.
- Pour the whole mixture into the prepared baking dish. At this point, the bake can be covered and refrigerated for up to 24 hours.
- When you are ready to bake, preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Bake the dish for 40 minutes or until the eggs are firm and the top is slightly golden. A knife inserted in the centre should come out clean. Serve while the bake is still warm.
Per Serving 354kcals, 17.8g fat (6.5g saturated), 22.6g carbs, 4.9g sugars, 25.9g protein, 3.2g fibre, 0.764g sodium
MAKE IT YOURS
Try adding cooked sausages, cooked black or white pudding, or halved cherry tomatoes to the bake. This is also delicious served with baked beans.