2 tbsp olive oil
450g boneless pork shoulder, cut into 4cm
1 tbsp fennel seeds, crushed
Salt and black pepper
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1.5l chicken stock
6 fresh thyme sprigs
2 large sweet potatoes, cut into two-inch
2 small fennel bulbs, chopped
Thyme leaves, chopped
Fennel fronds, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large casserole dish over a medium-high heat. Season the pork with the fennel seeds and some salt and pepper.
- Cook the pork for 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden brown on all sides. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add one litre of the stock and thyme sprigs and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 1½ hours, covered, until the pork is fork-tender.
- Add the sweet potatoes and fennel bulbs and as much additional stock as is needed to cover. Cook, uncovered, for a further 15-20 minutes until the pork is very tender and the vegetables are soft. Remove the thyme sprigs.
- Divide between serving bowls and top with the thyme leaves and fennel fronds. Serve with crusty bread.
Per serving:413kcals, 12.5g fat (2.6g saturated), 42.5g carbs,1.7g sugars, 34.1g protein, 8.9g fibre, 1.386g sodium.