1 x 3kg ham joint
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp ginger, grated
4 large plums, peeled, stoned and chopped
1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Brown sugar, to taste (optional)
- Place the ham joint in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil and simmer for two hours (40 minutes per kilo), skimming off any white froth from the top.
- Remove the ham from the water and allow to cool. Use a sharp knife to remove the rind and score the skin, being careful not to cut into the meat.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4.
- Melt the butter in a large pan over a medium heat and cook the onion for 6-8 minutes until translucent.
- Add the ginger and plums and cook for 10-12 minutes until soft. Add the sweet chilli sauce, balsamic vinegar and a little brown sugar (if desired). Stir over a medium heat until the glaze thickens.
- Brush the glaze over the ham and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden and completely heated through.
- Transfer to a plate, tent loosely with foil and rest for 30 minutes, then carve into slices and serve.
600kcals, 27.8g fat (3.3g saturated), 9.3g carbs (6g sugars), 75.6g protein, 1g fiber, 0.037g sodium