For the sponge:
150g pistachios, shelled
300g unsalted butter, softened
300g caster sugar
225g self-raising our
1 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp milk
1-2 drops green food colouring
For the icing:
300g cream cheese
250 icing sugar, sieved
125g unsalted butter, softened
300g pistachios, shelled and roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180 ̊C/160 ̊C fan/ gas mark 4. Line three 20cm tins with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, blitz the pistachios until very fine and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating in well after each one is added.
- Fold in the blitzed pistachios, flour, baking powder and milk until just combined. Add one or two drops of green food colouring to give the sponge a very subtle green colour.
- Divide the mixture evenly amongst the prepared tins. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer is inserted and comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat together the cream cheese, Mascarpone and unsalted butter until smooth. Gradually add the icing sugar, beating together to form a smooth icing.
- Use a sharp serrated knife to cut the sponges in half.
- Place the first sponge layer on a cake stand or serving plate, spread over some of the icing and then place the next sponge on top. Continue to stack and fill the sponges.
- Use a palette knife or offset spatula to spread the icing over the top and sides of the cake, making sure to fill in any gaps. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to set.
- Once set, spread over more icing to cover any crumbs and smooth the icing.
- Sprinkle chopped pistachios around the bottom and top edges of the cake.
Per Serving: 653kcals, 43.4g fat (18.9g saturated), 61.6g carbs (41.9g sugars), 13.6g protein, 3.7g fibre, 0.396g sodium