200g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
200g caster sugar, plus 2 tbsp for the tin
6 slices of tinned pineapple
200g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
6 tbsp pineapple juice from the tin
- Preheat the oven 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Grease a 20cm cake tin with butter.
- Sprinkle two tablespoons of the sugar into the base of the buttered cake tin. Arrange the slices of pineapple over the base of the tin in a single layer. Place one cherry in the centre of each pineapple slice and in amongst the slices. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Fold in the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and pineapple juice, stirring until just combined.
- Pour the mixture into the pineapple lined tin. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Loosen the sides of the cake with a spatula, place a plate on the sponge and quickly and smoothly flip over. Carefully pull away the tin. Serve warm.
Per Serving: 358kcals, 18.2g fat (10.9g saturated), 46.3g carbs (29.7g sugars), 4.8g protein, 1.1g fibre, 0.205g sodium
TOP TIP: Keep your leftover sponge to make cake pops or a trifle. You can also freeze the sponge for a later date.