Splash of white wine or water
2 tbsp fresh sun-dried tomato pesto
Juice of 1⁄2 a lemon, plus extra lemon wedges to serve
Salt and black pepper
- Place the mussels in a large bowl of cold water. Use a small knife to remove any barnacles and pull away the beard. Discard any mussels that are damaged or won’t close when tapped.
- Put the mussels in a large saucepan and add the wine. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil over a high heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes, shaking the pan now and then.
- Drain the mussels in a colander, discarding any that haven’t opened. When cool enough to handle, remove the top half of each shell, leaving the mussel intact in the bottom half.
- Toss the breadcrumbs together with the pesto and lemon juice and season with a little salt and plenty of black pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 230 ̊C/210 ̊C fan/gas mark 8. Place the mussels onto a baking tray and spoon a little of the pesto mixture onto each mussel.
- Bake for 10 minutes until the pesto breadcrumbs are crunchy. Serve with extra lemon wedges, for squeezing.
Per serving 354kcals, 7.6g fat (1.7g saturated), 44.1g carbs (4.6g sugars), 25.1g protein, 2.8g fibre, 1.023g sodium