Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
- Place the mussels in a large bowl of cold water. Use a small knife to remove any barnacles and pull away the beard. Discard any mussels that are damaged or won’t close when tapped.
- Put the mussels in a large saucepan and add the wine. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil over a high heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes, shaking the pan now and then.
- Drain the mussels in a colander, discarding any that haven’t opened. When cool enough to handle, remove the top half of each shell, leaving the mussel intact in the bottom half.
- Toss the breadcrumbs together with the pesto and lemon juice and season with a little salt and plenty of black pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 230 ̊C/210 ̊C fan/gas mark 8. Place the mussels onto a baking tray and spoon a little of the pesto mixture onto each mussel.
- Bake for 10 minutes until the pesto breadcrumbs are crunchy. Serve with extra lemon wedges, for squeezing.
Note: Water can be used as an alternative to white wine, if you wish.
Per serving: 354kcals, 7.6g fat (1.7g saturated), 44.1g carbs (4.6g sugars), 25.1g protein, 2.8g fibre, 1.023g sodium