Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the peri peri marinade:
For the spicy sweet potato wedges
- For the marinade, add all of the ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth. Set aside
- To spatchcock the chicken, place the chicken on a chopping board, then with a large kitchen knife cut down the back bone and flatten the chicken or alternatively ask your local butcher to do this for you.
- Spread half of the marinade over the spatchcocked chicken then cover and leave in the fridge for 20 minutes to marinate.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4
- In a large griddle pan, heat the olive oil on a medium to high heat. Once the pan is hot, place the chicken, breast-side down and sear for a good 5-6 minutes, until the skin becomes golden browned. Flip and sear on the other side for a further 5 minutes.
- Place the chicken onto a tray cook on the middle shelf for 55-60 minutes. To check if the chicken is cooked, pierce the chicken and the juices of the chicken should run clear and it should be steaming hot with no pink meat.
- For the wedges, using a sharp knife, cut the sweet potatoes into thick wedges, leaving the skin on. Cook the potatoes in a pot of salted boiling water until not too soft. They should still have a slight crunch.
- Once cooked, drain well and put onto a large baking tray. Drizzle on the oil and sprinkle on the spices. Shake the tray to coat the wedges. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
- Serve the chicken, wedges and warm pita breads.
Note: Garlic can be used as an alternative to cloves, if you wish.
Per serving: 813kcals, 34.4g fat (6.8g saturated), 63.6g carbs (5.3g sugars), 61.5g protein, 9.9g fibre, 1.527g sodium
Tip: This recipe can also be made for 2 by halving the peri peri sauce and buying a smaller chicken.
Popular in Chicken
Easy fried chicken and asian slaw