Makes approx. 30 biscuits
500g plain flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
½ tbsp ground ginger
½ tbsp ground cardamom
180g caster sugar
40g golden syrup
250g butter, softened
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and cardamom.
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, golden syrup, treacle and water. Place over a medium heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Add the butter and stir until melted. Set aside to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Once cooled, add the flour mixture and mix until combined into a loose dough.
- Transfer the dough onto a sheet of cling film and wrap well. Place in the fridge and allow to chill for eight hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 200 ̊C/180 ̊C fan/gas mark 6 and line two baking trays with non-stick parchment paper.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and cut it into four equal portions. Work with one piece of dough at a time, leaving the remaining dough in the fridge.
- Dust the work surface and rolling pin with flour. Roll the dough to about 5mm thick. Cut out your biscuits in a variety of festive shapes, continuing until all of the dough is used.
- Using a knife or a palette knife, lift the biscuits onto the prepared trays.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes or until the edges just barely begin to brown.
- Allow to cool for five minutes on the baking tray before carefully transferring to a wire rack to cool fully.
- Continue rolling, cutting and baking until all the dough is used.
154kcals, 7g fat (4.3g saturated), 21.6g carbs (7.5g sugars), 1.8g protein, 0.6g fibre, 0.092g sodium