135g caster sugar
14g dried yeast
560g strong flour, plus extra for dusting
1⁄2 tsp salt
115g unsalted butter, softened
For the topping:
250g pecans, chopped
115g unsalted butter
135g light brown sugar
60ml golden syrup
1⁄4 tsp salt
For the filling:
60g unsalted butter, very soft
100g light brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
- Line a 22 x 33cm baking tin with parchment paper and set aside.
- For the dough, heat the milk in the microwave until it reaches about 35 ̊C.
- In a jug, stir the warm milk, sugar and the yeast to combine. Leave for 10-15 minutes or until foamy.
- In the bowl of a free-standing mixer, add the flour, salt and butter. Rub the butter into the flour until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the centre, add the milk mix and the eggs. Mix on low speed for 2-3 minutes.
- Increase the speed, then mix for a further 10 minutes.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead it with your hands for one minute to bring the dough together.
- Form the dough into a ball and transfer it to a lightly greased bowl. Cover the bowl with cling film and leave to rest in a warm place for 1-2 hours or until doubled in size.
- For the topping, spread pecans into the prepared baking tin.
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, add the remaining topping ingredients. Stir until the butter has melted, then bring to a simmer for two minutes.Remove from the heat and pour over the pecans. Set aside.
- Mix together all of the filling ingredients and set aside.
- Turn the risen dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and roll into a 30 × 45cm rectangle. Spread the filling evenly onto the dough.
- Tightly roll up the dough and cut into 12 even rolls. Arrange them in the tin on top of the pecan topping.
- Cover the rolls with cling film and allow to rise in a warm area again for about 45-60 minutes until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200 ̊C/180 ̊C fan/gas mark 6.
- Bake rolls for 25-30 minutes or until they are golden brown on top. If they are getting too brown during baking, cover with foil.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Turn the tin upside down onto a board or plate while still warm and serve.
Per serving: 645kcals, 35.9g fat (14.3g saturated), 75.7g carbs, 34.2g sugars, 9g protein, 3.5g fibre, 0.176g sodium