Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the cheesy scones:
For the parsnip soup:
- Preheat the oven to 220 ̊C/200 ̊C fan/gas mark 7.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the Cheddar and thyme.
- Gradually add the buttermilk, stirring the mixture together into a soft, sticky dough.
- With lightly floured hands, combine the dough into a ball. Place on a lightly floured work surface and bring the mixture together. Roll out into a 1cm-thick round.
- Use a 6cm pastry cutter to cut out rounds from the dough, gathering up scraps and re- rolling the dough to get as many as possible (you should get about 12). Place the rounds on an ungreased baking tray.
- Brush the tops of the scones with the beaten egg. Bake the scones for 12-15 minutes or until golden.
- For the soup, heat the oil in a heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes. Add the parsnips and cook for 4-5 minutes until golden. Add the garlic and thyme, season with salt and pepper and cook for one minute longer.
- Pour in the stock, stir to combine and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover with a lid and simmer gently for 12-15 minutes or until the parsnips are tender.
- Remove from the heat and use a stick blender to whizz until smooth. Return to the heat, stir in the cream and warm through. Season to taste, then ladle into bowls and scatter with some extra thyme leaves. Serve the soup with 1-2 cheesy scones per person.
Per serving (with one scone): 460kcals, 26.5g fat (15.9g saturated), 54.3g carbs, 13.1g sugars, 8.7g protein, 8.8g fibre, 1.35g sodium
Popular in Starters
Smoked salmon & herby cream cheese bites by EUROSPAR