For the steak:
500g flank steak
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp vegetable oil
For the sauce:
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
60ml chicken stock
For the filling:
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 x 2cm piece of ginger, grated
1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
1 red pepper, deseeded and cut into matchsticks
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
Knob of butter
Salad, rice or noodles
- Place the steak in the freezer for 30 minutes, then slice thinly against the grain into eight equal pieces. Place the steak pieces between two sheets of cling film and use a rolling pin or meat tenderiser to pound until very thin.
- In a bowl, combine the soy sauce, vegetable oil and a generous amount of black pepper. Add the steak and allow to marinate for at least 15 minutes or up to two hours.
- In a separate bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the sauce.
- Heat a wok or a large pan over a high heat. When hot, add half of the vegetable oil, swirling to coat. Add the garlic and ginger and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the carrot and red pepper and stir-fry for one minute. Add the soy sauce and sesame oil and stir. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- To make the beef rolls, lay out the sliced steak with the shortest sides facing you. Equally divide the vegetable mixture among the steak slices, laying them neatly across the end of the steak closest to you. Roll each piece of beef up and over the filling. Secure each one with a toothpick.
- Place a large pan over a medium-high heat. Add the remaining vegetable oil and butter, swirling to coat.
- When the pan is hot, add the beef rolls, seam side down and brown on all sides — you may need to work in two batches to avoid crowding the pan.
- When the beef rolls have been browned, place them all in the pan and add the sauce. Cover and simmer for 1-2 minutes over a medium heat until the steak is just cooked.
- Remove the toothpicks and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve the steak rolls with salad, rice or noodles.
388kcals, 22.4g fat (7.9g saturated), 9.1g carbs, 3.5g sugars, 36.4g protein, 1.4g fibre, 0.663g sodium