For the cupcakes:
80g unsalted butter, softened
280g caster sugar
240g self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Zest of 1 orange
For the buttercream:
400g icing sugar
200g unsalted butter, softened
1 tbsp orange juice
For the filling:
80g orange marmalade
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4 and line a cupcake tray with 12 cupcake cases.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together all the dry ingredients with the orange zest. Add the butter and beat to form a sandy texture.
- In a jug, whisk together the milk and eggs. Slowly stream this into the butter mixture to form a smooth batter. Spoon into the lined cupcake tray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, then allow to cool completely.
- Once cooled, use a teaspoon to scoop out the centre of each cupcake. Fill the centres with the marmalade.
- In a bowl, beat together the icing sugar, butter and orange juice until light and fluffy.
- Spoon the buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a star-shaped nozzle. Add a swirl of buttercream to the top of each cupcake and decorate with some orange zest.
Per Serving 497kcals, 20.5g fat (12.6g saturated), 77.3g carbs (61.3g sugars), 3.9g protein, 0.6g fibre, 0.129g sodium