1 tbsp butter
1 tsp sugar
2 yellow onions, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large red onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
250g chestnut mushrooms, quartered
2 heaped tbsp of fresh parsley
1 sprig of fresh rosemary, leaves picked
Juice of half a lemon
1 tbsp of brandy
1 tbsp of vegetable stock
150g cashew nuts, walnuts or a mixture, finely chopped
80g blanched almonds, finely chopped
80g fresh white breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten
Salt and black pepper
1 large sheet of ready-rolled puff pastry
Large handful of baby spinach
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6. In a pan over a medium-low heat, melt the butter and sugar together. Add the yellow onions and cook gently for 25 minutes until caramelised, then remove and allow to cool.
- Heat the olive oil in the same pan over a medium heat. Add the red onion and garlic and cook for 15-20 minutes. Add the mushrooms and herbs, lemon juice, brandy and stock, and stir to combine. Cook the mixture over a medium-low heat for 12–15 minutes.
- Add all of the chopped nuts to the mushroom mixture, stir to combine well and transfer to a large bowl. Add the breadcrumbs, half of the beaten egg and season to taste.
- Roll the pastry into a rectangle and place on a greased and floured baking tray. Spoon the onions in a line down the middle, top with the spinach and finally add the mushroom filling.
- Carefully roll the pastry around the mushroom filling until it forms a log, seam-side down on the baking tray. Cut two or three slits in the top to allow the steam to escape.
- Brush with the remaining egg and cook for 40 minutes until golden.
Per Serving 494kcals, 33.4g fat (7.4g saturated), 38.5g carbs, 4.7g sugars, 11g protein, 4.2g fibre, 0.203g sodium