3 tbsp oil
250g tofu, chicken or prawns
Salt and black pepper
Pinch of chilli flakes
2 shallots, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 carrots, finely chopped
1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped
100g mushrooms, sliced
200g mixture of peas, sugar snaps and/or green beans
100g kale, finely chopped
600g cooked brown basmati rice
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp maple syrup or honey
Drizzle of sesame oil
3 spring onions, chopped
Sliced cucumber, tomatoes, bean sprouts,
coriander, crushed peanuts,
Peanut Rayu and/or lime wedges
- Heat one tablespoon of the oil in a large pan or wok over a high heat. Sear the tofu, chicken or prawns with some salt and pepper and a pinch of chilli flakes until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Heat another 1-2 tablespoons of oil in the same pan over a medium heat. Cook the shallots, garlic, mushrooms, pepper and carrots for 7-8 minutes until the carrots are tender. Add the peas or green beans and cook for one minute.
- Push the vegetables to one side of the pan. Add a little more oil to the empty side and add the rice. Turn the heat to medium- high and cook for 3-4 minutes, allowing it to get a little crispy. Stir in the vegetables.
- Mix together the soy sauce and maple syrup, then stir into the rice. Add your tofu, chicken or prawns back to the pan and stir for two minutes. Stir in the spring onions and finish with a drizzle of sesame oil.
- Fry the eggs sunny side up. Divide the rice mixture amongst four bowls and top with some of the suggested garnishes and an egg on top of each portion.
Per serving 575kcals, 18.3g fat (3g saturated), 74.3g carbs (11.3g sugars), 31.7g protein, 7.5g fibre, 0.975g sodium