For the cupcakes:
80g unsalted butter, softened
280g caster sugar
240g self-raising flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Zest of 2 lemon
For the buttercream:
400g icing sugar
200g unsalted butter, softened
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp lemon curd
For the filling:
80g lemon curd
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4 and line a cupcake tray with 12 cupcake cases.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together all the dry ingredients with the lemon zest. Add the butter and beat to form a sandy texture.
- Add the eggs and milk and beat until smooth. Spoon into the lined cupcake tray.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, then allow to cool completely.
- Once cooled, use a teaspoon to scoop out the center of each cupcake. Fill the centers with the lemon curd.
- In a bowl, beat together the icing sugar, butter, lemon juice and lemon curd until light and fluffy.
- Spoon the buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a star-shaped nozzle. Pipe a swirl of buttercream to the top of each cupcake and decorate with some lemon zest, chocolate hearts and spinkles