4 large egg whites
200g caster sugar
1 tsp cornflour
1 tsp vanilla paste or vanilla extract
450ml double cream
450g mixed berries (such as strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries)
Icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 160˚C/140˚C fan/gas mark 3. Line a Swiss roll tin with a sheet of parchment paper.
- Whisk the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Gradually add the caster sugar, whisking constantly. Sift in the cornflour and whisk on high for five minutes until the mixture is stiff and glossy.
- Spread the mixture in an even layer onto the tin and bake for 20-25 minutes until it is crisp on the outside and fluffy on the inside. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Beat the vanilla paste (or extract) and cream until thickened.
- Using the back of a fork, smash a handful of the berries in a bowl. Stir through the cream.
- Transfer the cooled meringue onto a fresh piece of parchment paper dusted with icing sugar. Spread about three-quarters of the meringue with a layer of cream, then top with a layer of mixed berries.
- Starting at a short end, carefully roll the meringue using the paper to help roll it along. Serve immediately.
Per Serving 267kcals, 17.1g fat (10.5g saturated), 27.1g carbs, 23.4g sugars, 2.7g protein, 1.6g fibre, 0.031g sodium