Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the sponge:
For the buttercream:
- Preheat the oven to 190 ̊C/170 ̊C fan/gas mark 5. Line a deep 24cm square baking tin with non-stick parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour and cocoa powder and set aside.
- In a jug, mix the buttermilk, vanilla and red food colouring.
- Alternate adding the flour and buttermilk mixture into the egg mixture, adding one- third of each at a time and beating after each addition.
- In a bowl, stir together the bicarbonate of soda and vinegar. Immediately stir into the cake mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Allow to cool completely.
- For the buttercream, beat together the butter, icing sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Once the sponge has cooled, use a 6cm round cutter to cut out 12 circles of sponge.
- Spoon the buttercream into a piping bag with a small star-shaped nozzle.
- To assemble the cakes, first place one sponge disc on your work surface and pipe on a layer of buttercream. Place a second sponge disc on top and add another layer of buttercream. Add a final sponge disc. Finish by piping a swirl of buttercream in the centre of the sponge, then decorate with sprinkles.
Per serving: 1,137kcals, 45g fat (27.6g saturated), 179.6g carbs (139g sugars), 10.4g protein, 2.1g fibre, 0.696g sodium
Popular in Cakes
Passionfruit meringue gateaux