Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the dough:
For the filling:
For the egg wash:
- Place the water, yeast and sugar in a measuring jug, stir to combine and rest for five minutes.
- Place the flour, oil and salt in a large bowl. Pour the yeast into the bowl and mix with a wooden spoon. Gradually add more water a splash at a time, until a dough forms and the sides of the bowl are clean. Cover with a cloth and set in a warm place for one hour, until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the tomato purée and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic, oregano and chilli flakes and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes and their juice and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until thickened. Transfer to a heatproof bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- When the sauce has chilled, stir in the cheese and basil. Season to taste and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Turn out the dough onto a well-floured surface. Pinch off balls of dough the size of golf balls and roll out into small circles.
- Place 2-3 tablespoons of filling onto each circle. Stretch and fold the dough over the filling, pinching at the seams to seal. Transfer to the baking tray.
- Brush the tops of the calzones with the egg wash and sprinkle with oregano, if desired. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.
Per serving 197kcals, 6.9g fat (2.4g saturated), 25.4g carbs, 1.1g sugars, 8.5g protein, 1.3g fibre, 0.177g sodium
ItalianLunchboxCanapésStartersDiabetic-friendlyLunch & snacksLow-fatAmericanSpecial OccasionsKidsCuisinesMake it HealthyVegetarian
Popular in Italian
Irish coffee affogato by EUROSPAR