170ml whole milk, warmed
1 x 7g sachet of active dried yeast
80g caster sugar
500g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
¼ tsp salt
75g butter, melted
1 egg, plus 1 egg yolk
Oil, for greasing
For the filling:
300g cold marzipan, grated
2 tbsp cinnamon
50g caster sugar
75g butter, melted
Custard or whipped cream
- Add 150ml of the milk to a jug and sprinkle over the yeast and one tablespoon of the sugar. Stir quickly to dissolve, then leave to sit for 10 minutes until the mixture is foamy and risen.
- Sift the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre and gradually mix in the milk mixture until it comes together as a dough. Cover with a tea towel and leave to rise in a warm space for 15 minutes.
- Whisk together the butter, egg, egg yolk and the remaining milk and sugar. Stir into the dough.
- Dust a work surface with flour and knead the dough for 7-10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Spread some oil inside a large, clean bowl and place the dough inside. Cover with a clean tea towel and leave to rise for 45 minutes until doubled in size.
- To make the filling, whisk the egg and the marzipan in one bowl. Mix the cinnamon and sugar in another.
- Knead the dough briefly on a floured work surface, then roll it out into a long rectangle (about 35 x 65cm).
- Brush 60g of the butter over the dough, then spread over the marzipan filling, leaving a 2cm border at the edges. Sprinkle over the cinnamon-sugar mixture, then top with the mincemeat.
- Roll up the dough from the long side of the rectangle. Place the roll on a sheet of parchment paper and use a sharp knife to cut it in half lengthways. Wrap the two portions of dough around each other to form a spiral, and then shape this spiral into a wreath. Pinch the ends together to complete the shape.
- Lift the parchment paper and the wreath onto a baking tray. Brush with the remaining melted butter and leave in a warm place for 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6.
- Bake the wreath for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool before removing from the baking paper. Dust with icing sugar and serve with custard or whipped cream.
Per Serving 445kcals, 14.7g fat (6.5g saturated), 70.3g carbs, 18.4g sugars, 8.1g protein, 2.6g fibre, 0.14g sodium