1 x 3kg ham joint
1 onion, peeled and quartered
1 orange, quartered
Cloves, for studding (optional)
For the glaze:
150g maple syrup
80g brown sugar
3 tbsp Dijon mustard
½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Place the ham joint in a large saucepan, add the onion and orange and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for two hours (40 minutes per kilo).
- Remove the ham from the water and allow to cool.
- Use a sharp knife to remove the rind and score the skin in a criss-cross pattern. Stud the intersections with cloves, if desired.
- Preheat the oven to 180 ̊C/160 ̊C fan/gas mark 4.
- In a bowl, stir together the ingredients for the glaze until well combined.
- Brush half the glaze over the ham and bake for 30 minutes until golden and completely hot throughout, brushing with the remaining glaze halfway through
- Transfer to a plate, tent loosely with foil and rest for 30 minutes, then carve into slices and serve immediately.
407kcals, 17.5g fat (15.9g saturated), 28g carbs (18.7g sugars), 33.5g protein, 2.9g fibre, 2.679g sodium