2 aubergines, sliced lengthways
2 tbsp rapeseed oil
½ an onion, finely chopped
100g button mushrooms, sliced
2 garlic cloves, chopped
3 strips of streaky bacon, finely chopped
500g Inisvale Organic Steak Mince
Salt and black pepper
125ml red wine
400ml beef stock
3 tbsp tomato purée
½ tsp paprika
2 tsp dried Italian herbs
Butter, for greasing
2 courgettes, sliced lengthways
For the topping:
300ml double cream
100g Parmesan, grated
100g Mozzarella, grated
1 tsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Mix together all of the ingredients for the topping and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/gas mark 6. Season the sliced aubergine strips with salt and allow to stand for 15 minutes; this extracts any excess moisture from them. After 15 minutes, rinse the slices under running water to remove the salt, then pat them dry with kitchen paper. Arrange the slices in a single layer on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 15 minutes until they have softened but are still firm. Set aside.
- Heat the rapeseed oil in a pan over a medium-high heat and cook the onions, mushrooms, garlic and bacon for about five minutes until the onions are soft and the bacon is crispy.
- Add the mince, season well and cook until browned, stirring regularly to break up any clumps.
- Add the wine, stock, tomato purée, paprika and Italian herbs; mix well to combine. Increase the temperature and allow to simmer uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until the liquid has reduced by half and becomes a thick sauce. Season to taste.
- Grease a baking dish with butter. Spread a layer of the mince mixture into the bottom and then top with a layer of aubergines. Put a few dollops of the cheese mixture over the aubergines, then spread over a layer of mince.
- Top with a layer of courgettes. Spread the rest of the cheese mixture over the top.
- Bake for 25 minutes until it is bubbling and golden brown on top. Leave to stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Per Serving: 493kcals,25.7g fat (10.4g saturated),20.1g carbs (8.1g sugars), 43.8g protein, 7.9g fibre, 0.105g sodium
Top tip: this recipe is great made the day before, refrigerated and then baked just before serving.