Makes about 24
For the biscuits:
85g butter, at room temperature
140g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
200g plain flour
For the icing:
160g icing sugar
1 tbsp water
Red food colouring
- Put the butter and caster sugar together in a bowl and beat together until pale. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
- With the electric beater on its lowest speed, add the flour.
- Beat in until the mixture becomes a dough.
- Shape the dough into a flat disc and wrap in cling film. Place it in the fridge for two hours. Line two baking trays with parchment paper.
- Roll out the dough between two sheets of parchment paper.
- Dip a heart-shaped pastry cutter into some flour and cut out hearts from the dough.
- Place the hearts on the prepared trays about 1cm apart. Place the trays into the fridge for 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 170˚C/150˚C fan/gas mark 3. Bake the hearts for 15 minutes until they are pale golden. Allow to cool completely.
- Place the icing sugar and water in a small bowl and mix to combine. Add a few drops of food colouring into the remaining icing and mix until pink.
- Use a spoon to cover the top of each biscuit with white or pink icing. Allow to dry, then use the opposite colour to write a message on each biscuit, or decorate with sprinkles.
Per biscuit: 107kcals, 3.1g fat (1.9g saturated), 18.9g carbs (12.4g sugars), 1.1g protein, 0.2g fibre, 0.023g sodium