Makes about 25
4 streaky bacon rashers, chopped
750g leftover mashed potatoes
120g Cheddar, grated
2 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
½ tsp cayenne pepper, optional
2 large eggs, beaten
Vegetable oil, for frying
- Heat a large frying pan over a medium-high heat and cook the bacon for 6-7 minutes until browned and crispy. Transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper to drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, cheese, chives, cayenne pepper and bacon.
- Roll the mixture into balls measuring around 3cm.
- Working one at a time, dip the potato balls into the beaten eggs, then dredge them in the breadcrumbs, pressing to coat.
- Pour the oil into a large saucepan to a depth of 5cm and heat over a medium-high heat until hot.
- Working in batches, add balls to the hot oil and cook for 2-3 minutes until evenly golden and crispy. Transfer to a plate lined with kitchen paper to drain. Serve immediately.
Per Serving 88kcals, 4.1g fat (1.2g saturated), 9.3g carbs, 0g sugars, 3.7g protein, 10g fibre, 0.284g sodium
These are perfect as a New Year’s Eve party snack!