Tick the ingredients you need to add your shopping list.
For the lemon syrup:
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Grease a standard 900g loaf tin with oil and line with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, baking powder, ground almonds and polenta in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the lemon zest and sugar.
- Lightly beat the eggs, oil and yoghurt in a small bowl. Pour this into the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Spread into the tin and bake for 45-50 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cover loosely with foil for the final 10 minutes if it starts to brown too quickly.
- While the cake bakes, combine the caster sugar, lemon juice and 75ml of water in a saucepan over a medium heat. Cook, stirring regularly, for a few minutes until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat and bring to a boil for 3-4 minutes until the mixture is thickened and syrupy.
- Place a piece of parchment paper under a wire rack. Remove the cake from the oven and leave to cool for five minutes in the tin, then turn it out onto the wire rack. Use a skewer to poke holes all over the cake, then spoon the syrup over the cake and brush around the sides. Leave to set before slicing to serve.
Per Serving 371 kcals, 16.6g fat (2.7g saturated), 54.2g carbs, 29.9g sugars, 5.1g protein, 1.6g fibre, 0.018g sodium
Kids bakingCakesSweet thingsLow-fatSpecial OccasionsKidsAfternoon teaBakingMake it HealthyVegetarian
Popular in Kids baking